Advice From Your Local Phoenix Air Conditioning Contractors at Chas Roberts
It’s a big box that sits on your roof or on the ground outside your house. In the summer, you can hear its motors running fairly regularly. But what do you really know about your home air conditioning system?
While you don’t need to have every detail of how the system works – save that for the professionals at Chas Roberts Air Conditioning and Plumbing – there are a few basic, but important things you should know to ensure you will be cool in the summer:
- Changing the filter is one of the easiest and most important things you can do. A dirty filter can become a source of poor air quality and pollution in your home. It also decreases energy efficiency. According to energy.gov, replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can lower your air conditioning system’s energy consumption by 5 to 15 percent. Disposable filters can be purchased at a reasonable price from a home improvement store.
- Installing a programmable thermostat will save money and energy. A programmable thermostat adjusts the temperature setting of your air conditioning system automatically throughout the day. You can program the thermostat to produce cooler air when you are home, and then not work as hard when you are away.
- What a SEER rating is. SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. SEER is calculated by dividing the system’s cooling output by the total electric energy input during the same period – which basically means, how much energy does your system need to use to generate cool air? Systems manufactured today must have a minimum SEER of 13; the higher the SEER, the more energy-efficient the system.
- Closing vents to restrict cooling to certain parts of the home may have the opposite effect. Don’t close off the flow – closing vents in unused rooms does not save energy. Added pressure from closing a vent can lead to air leaks.
- Take care of your system and it will take care of you. HVAC systems should receive professional maintenance twice a year to catch and resolve minor issues before they can cause a problem during extreme weather. Chas Roberts offers the Comfort Assurance Plan (CAP) professional maintenance agreement. The CAP provides two planned check-ups – in spring and fall. It is designed to meet or exceed all manufacturer and extended warranty requirements for system maintenance and surpasses ENERGY STAR recommendations.
When it comes to air conditioning and heating installation and service, you can trust your local Phoenix air conditioning contractors at Chas Roberts. We’ve been in business for more than 70 years. To schedule an appointment, visit ChasRoberts.com or call (602) 943-3426 in Phoenix, (520) 618-1884 in Tucson or (505) 264-7257 in New Mexico.