Creep, creep, creep. That’s what the Phoenix temperatures are starting to do. You may be thinking, “it’s March…we still have a long time to go until the 100s get here.” Not so fast. According to the record keepers, the first occurrence of 100 degrees or higher (between the years of 1895 and 2010) was March 26.
While no one can predict exactly when we will get the first 100 degree day in 2014, you know it will be here eventually, so it’s best to be prepared.
Here are some tips to make sure your home is ready to keep you cool when those unbearable temperatures arrive – and stay for a while:
- Change the filter on your Phoenix heating and air conditioning system. A dirty or clogged filter will block normal airflow and reduce your system’s cool air output significantly.
- Test your air conditioning system. Switch the system from “heat” to “cool” and turn the temperature to 78 degrees. If the air conditioner doesn’t turn on, call a professional Phoenix heating and air conditioning contractor, like Chas Roberts. If the system turns on but doesn’t blow cool air, you should also consult a professional. Don’t wait until you actually need the system to work!
- Invest in a new thermostat. Installing a programmable thermostat can save you approximately $180 a year in energy costs, according to energystar.gov, because a programmable thermostat allows you to regulate the temperature automatically to be cool when you’re home but not when you’re out.
- Get a professional tune-up on your Phoenix heating and air conditioning system. Chas Roberts offers the Comfort Assurance Plan (CAP), which includes twice annual system checks. A professional Chas Roberts technician will look at the system’s refrigerant levels, electrical performance measurement, clean the condenser coils, and more.
- Check the heating and cooling ducts. If they aren’t sealed correctly, the cool air from your air conditioner may not be reaching the inside of your home. According to energystar.gov, sealing and insulating ducts can improve the efficiency of a heating and cooling system by as much as 20 percent. Or, sign up for the Chas Roberts CAP and a professional technician will check these for you.
- Install a new Phoenix heating and air conditioning system now, and save big money. For a limited time, Chas Roberts is offering incentives on new systems from Trane and Carrier, including attractive financing deals and cash-back rebates.
Chas Roberts technicians are ready to help you, whether for a system check or the installation of a new system before summer. To schedule an appointment with an experienced Chas Roberts technician, visit ChasRoberts.com or call (602) 943-3426 in Phoenix, (520) 618-1884 in Tucson or (505) 264-7257 in New Mexico.