Each year, on April 22, the world recognizes Earth Day and the work being done to take care of the environment: reduce pollution and conserve energy and water.
In desert climates like Arizona and New Mexico, smart water usage and conservation is particularly important because water supplies are finite. To make sure current and future generations have a dependable water supply, we can each do our part to protect this critical and precious resource.
Tips to Decrease Water Usage
There are many things the average homeowner can do to save water – some large and some small.
- Fix leaky faucets and water fixtures right away. According to the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), an average household wastes roughly 10,000 gallons of water every year – enough to fill a swimming pool – because of leaks. Professional Phoenix plumbers like the ones at Chas Roberts Air Conditioning & Plumbing can find the cause of that annoying leak and fix it.
- Consider having your Chas Roberts Phoenix plumbers upgrade your plumbing fixtures and appliances with newer, more energy-efficient products. Products that have the WaterSense® label are backed by independent third party testing and certification and meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) specifications for water efficiency and performance.
- Make every drop count and turn off your faucet while brushing your teeth or shaving. You can save up to 8 gallons of water a day simply by doing this morning and night, according to Good Housekeeping’s “green” website.
- Take a shower instead of a bath. Showers use less water than baths, as long as the shower isn’t too long!
- Before putting items in the dishwasher, scrape instead of rinsing them before loading. And always make sure the dishwasher is fully loaded before running a cycle.
- Sweeping outside surfaces, such as sidewalks and driveways, instead of watering them clean can save between 50 and 80 gallons of water, according to a water conservation study by Colorado State University.
Cutting back on water usage can also save you money. According to WaterSense, the average family spends $950 per year in water costs, but can save $310 from retrofitting with WaterSense labeled fixtures and ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances.
Chas Roberts Air Conditioning & Plumbing offers a full array of Phoenix plumbing services. Don’t delay – contact them today! Visit ChasRoberts.com or call (602) 943-3426 in the Phoenix area.