Air Conditioning Systems: Repair vs Replace?
Air Conditioning systems in cooler climates can last 2 or 3 times longer than the same air conditioner in a hot climate. Increased run times and very high heat lead to system wear out and quicker failure.
HVACopcost.com calculates the average operating hours for an air conditioner to be 4 times greater in our desert climate than moderate climates like Illinois or Michigan.
A home heating and cooling system is not just a matter of comfort but a matter of safety.
How Long Do AC Units Last?
When to Repair you air conditioner:
- Old air conditioning equipment becomes expensive to repair and offers no guarantee that additional problems are not close behind.
- If you plan on moving soon, you may not get your investment price from a replacement air conditioning unit when you sell.
- A replacement that involves other trades may be cost prohibitive. In rare situations, a new air conditioning system can require significant remodeling.
- The system has been trouble free thus far and looks to be mechanically sound still.
Lifespan of AC Units
When to Replace your air conditioner:
- If the equipment has reached 6 years old be careful not to throw good money after bad with repairs. The average life span of an air conditioning unit is 6 to 12 years.
- If the system is older than 12 years, major improvements in efficiency could be saving you BIG money. Super efficient, modern equipment can save $1,000 or more per year.
- If you are not comfortable. Today’s modern air conditioning comfort systems can virtually eliminate hot and cold areas, high and low humidity, bad air quality, high utility bills, noisy indoor and outdoor equipment, and much more.
- If your system does not have variable air flow. Variable air flow is the key to comfort. New systems keep the air moving, adding to comfort and helping save money.
- If you are concerned about break downs. When an old system fails under the intense summer heat, a replacement air conditioner can easily be a week to 10 days away
- Replace before the summer crunch hits. Do not pay higher summer prices. Many small air conditioning contractors prey on homeowners who must replace in summer when reputable companies get busy.
- If family members have allergies, asthma or other air quality health concerns. Indoor air quality can be improved throughout the whole house by 100 times with today’s high tech IAQ technology and air conditioning products.
- Replace before manufactures and utility companies rebates run out. Equipment manufacturers rebates are usually available through May. APS and SRP rebates can be discontinued at any time.